SubscribeSubscribe to our Style Newsletter to receive email with our Latest updates!
Lauren’s Fashion Pick of the Week
Birkenstock Arizona Sandal
Yes. I said Birkenstock. These sandals are comfort and fashion all in one. You might be hesitant at first, but trust me, once you put them on you won't be. We are seeing them on everyone and everywhere! From the runways, to the Olsen twins to every fashionable style editor around. Get them people, they are selling out!
Interior Design articles
I am currently obsessed with making my home fresh and brighter for summer. The best way to do this is by adding fresh flowers, greenery, and plants. Considering I don’t have time in my schedule to buy weekly fresh flowers, and I tend to kill things (yes, I killed an orchid, lets not talk about it) I have found the perfect solution: SUCCULENT TERRARIUM. This, my friends, is fool proof!
A succulent by definition:
In botany, succulent plants, also known as succulents or sometimes fat plants, are plants having some parts that are more than normally thickened and fleshy, usually to retain water in arid climates or soil conditions. Succulent plants may store water in various structures, such as leaves and stems.
I can put this inside my house, it looks pretty and unique, its hard to kill, and I don’t have to water it every day.
DIY Succulent Terrarium
These are super simple to make!
Here Is What You Need:
- Cactus potting soil
- Sand (if you really want to be fancy you can find different color sands online)
- Your beauteous succulent plants (Tip: if this is going to be inside and not in a ton of light, go for the “fleshy” succulents rather than the “cactus” ones)
- A transparent bowl with a wide opening
Here is How To Make It:
- Pour a thick layer of gravel in the bottom
- Pour in the cactus potting soil (do not pack down or mix, they should be layers)
- Place your succulent plants (Tip: try to mix up textures and colors for a more interesting display)
- Add a little more soil so that the succulents are covered
- Pour a layer of sand
- Take your straw and blow excess sand off the succulents for the best results
- Enjoy your amazing succulent terrarium!
July 10, 2014
1. Evaluate the key pieces of furniture in the room. For example, your key pieces might be a couch, coffee table and chair for a family room.
2. Select a color palette that you love- preferably 3 colors. For a bold look, go with contrasting colors like white, black and gray. For a softer palette, try something like white, light gray, and a pastel such as yellow or mint.
3. Pick a focal point. This is what you love most about this room and where someone’s attention is drawn immediately upon walking into the space. Some examples of focal points include high ceilings or beautiful windows. If you are not sure about a focal point, skip to #5.
4. After picking the focal point, add something that will enhance that special feature. This is where the glamour comes in; if your focal point is a high ceiling, add a beautiful chandelier. If you have great windows, add dramatic curtains in a bold pattern or luxurious fabric.
5. Use a great rug. If you couldn’t find a focal point, a rug, if the space permits, is a great option. Find one that is in a solid color with great texture, or one with a dynamic bold pattern such a chevron, overlapping circles, or an Ikat pattern.
6. Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. This is the key to taking your room from bland to fabulous. For your furniture, mix and match pillows of different fabrics and colors in your color pallet to add depth to your room. On a coffee table, add a few unique pieces that will add interest- books, serving tray filled with candies, or a set of candles of all different shapes and sizes. On an end table, add a quirky table lamp or flower arrangement, real or fake, in your color pallet.
7. Make sure no wall is left behind. A blank wall has so much potential. Here’s what you can do to make it pop: (Hint: A wall can also serve as a focal point.)
Consider an accent wall! It is instant glamour, will pull your whole room together, and all you have to do is pick one of the 3 colors from your color palette.
Add a piece of art that takes up most of the wall. This makes a dramatic statement while also expressing your personal style.
8. Use a mirror. You can never go wrong with a mirror. This is especially useful if your room is on the small side. It will make your space seem twice as big. A mirror will add tremendous depth, and of course, glamour!
9. Now enjoy! Your room is a reflection of your style, and, above all, it is glamorous!
April 18, 2014
Looking for some inspiration today….found these great pics to do just the trick!
March 29, 2014